Monday, November 7, 2011

Chapter 17

It has almost been two weeks since I've updated--I apologize for that, but I have been fairly busy, therefore lapses in posts are to be expected.

Anyway, this past Friday (11/4/2011), my high school football team had a game.  They managed to get themselves into the state play-offs, but unfortunately, they lost to a very talented team that just happens to be nationally ranked.  Yep, Burke is ranked amongst the top 100 teams in the nation; they're 98th.  At the bottom, yes, but that's a hell of a lot better than we are.  The final score was us with a whopping seven (7) points and them with a ridiculous 55 on the scoreboard.

Yeah, I know--crazy, right?

And it just kept getting better.

Saturday morning (11/5/2011), Ryan had a basketball game, which his team lost (26 to 32), making them 0-3 so far this season.  Sucks, I know.

And now for the big Nebraska game.  Yes, my first venture to Memorial Stadium at UNL in Lincoln, Nebraska was an interesting event.  I have never seen so many crazed football fans in one setting.  And the vast "Sea of Red" was something--that's for sure.

The seats my family and I had weren't particularly great (Row 94 in the North end zone), but we had waited a long time before making the ticket purchase, so just obtaining tickets was enough.

After departing Ryan's basketball game, we headed out, made a quick stop to eat, and then arrived in Lincoln where we paid $15 to park in a local parking structure.  After that, we collected our blankets and coats and walked to the stadium where we purchased a program for $5, waited in line for I don't know how long, underwent a security check (just like everyone else), and finally started climbing the steep steps up to our assigned seats just after shelling out $20 for stadium chairs.

I have never had to sit so closely to strangers in my entire life--surely the stands could have been spaced out a bit more, oh, but then that would have taken away potential income due to a slight lack in seating...how dare I think that anyone cared about the comfort of the fans.

At any rate, the Nebraska vs. Northwestern game was exciting, even if it did result in a loss for the Huskers (25-28), and with me having to leave with my ears ringing; the man seated right behind me yelled and screamed for the entire game.  He shouted so often, that I timed his intervals: every 15 to 27 seconds he had something to say.

It's not like the college kids down on the field could hear him, but I'm sure he thought they could.

I secretly hoped he would earn himself a nasty case of laryngitis--he needed to be punished for damaging my hearing (my mother and I had gone over bringing our ear plugs, but that slipped our minds for whatever reason).

One thing that I was pretty stoked about was finally seeing the Husker Marching Band--I had seen them a couple of times during my high school marching band career, but my memories are starting to mesh together, so I couldn't quite recall how good everyone makes them out to be.

What I did remember was the fact that although they may possess a high quality sound, they rarely march, which always kind of irks me because marching should be part of a marching band--hence the name.

I took a few pictures, intensely watched their pre-game and halftime shows, finally coming to a conclusion: they kind of suck.

End of story, hands down, no questions asked: the University of Nebraska Husker Marching Band is lame.

That's right, I said (typed?) it; LAME!  L-A-M-E!!!  Ha ha.  ;)

Of the three Nebraska Universities (UNK, UNL and UNO), UNO, by far, has the best marching band; and not just because I was part of it, but because they actually do stuff!

But that's another topic for another day--the UCLA marching band is pretty amazing, so I'm wickedly excited for an opportunity to be a part of that band.  ^_^

As for the rest of my weekend, I worked yesterday for seven hours, came home, ate dinner, watched a movie and filled out a few more job applications for places that are hiring in California.

Haven't heard back from anyone yet, but sooner or later, I'm hoping that I will.

I might update again this week, but then again, I might not.  So...I'll be back whenever.  Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment